Thursday, February 14, 2008

Malcolm X: Unfair Racism.

Malcolm Little was born into a period of great struggles for black people, in 1925, just a few years before the great depression. Malcolm had 7 siblings, and a caring mother and father. The family moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1926 and to Lansing Michigan shortly after. In 1931 Malcolm’s father was found dead after he got run over by a street car. After, Louise Little, Malcolm’s mother had a nervous breakdown and was later considered legally insane. Malcolm and his siblings went to separate foster homes. Malcolm graduated from junior high but decided not to continue his education after a teacher told him that he would never get the job he wanted, a lawyer, because of his race. Malcolm moved to New York in 1943. He found work as a shoeshine in Harlem. However, after a while in Harlem he turned to illegal activities such as drug dealing, gambling, and robbery. In 1946 Malcolm was arrested for stealing a watch. In court, he pleaded guilty and was sent to Charlestown State Prison. He found pleasure in reading books while in prison. In 1948 Malcolm was transferred to an experimental prison in Massachusetts. In 1952 he received parole and was released from prison. In 1952 he joined the nation of Islam. Soon after, he changed his surname to "X". Until Malcolm left the organization in 1964, Malcolm always preached the whites as "devils". in 1958 Malcolm got married to Betty X and later had 6 daughters. He founded his own organization called Muslim Mosque Inc. He completed his religious quest by making a pilgrimage to Mecca. Malcolm X was assonated on February 21, 1965 while he was delivering a speech in Manhattans Audubon Ballroom. His funeral was held on February 27, 1965.
Imagine being told that you would never become what you want, because of your skin color. Does it seem fair that fair skinned people have better chances of getting good jobs than black skinned people? I believe that racism is a major flaw in our society, especially a few decades ago, during Malcolm's time.
Think of all of the black people that were, and still are, being prosecuted just because of their skin color. I believe that black people are just as qualified, if not even more qualified, to do everything that white people do. Why are white people any "better" than black people? I believe that Malcolm suffered from a lot of racial judgment, from when he was one of the poorest kids in school, because his mother did not get paid as much as the other women, to when he got shot, just because he was giving a speech. I believe that he had a right to hate white people, he did not do any serious crime, he did not kill anyone, yet him and his followers were prosecuted, and even killed by white gangs and white individuals.
Towards the end of the book, Malcolm would be prepared for an attack at any minute. He kept a loaded gun in his possession. He even said To come right down to it, if I take the kind of things which I believe, then add to that the kind of temperament that I have, plus the one hundred per cent dedication I have to whatever I believe in- these are ingredients which make it just impossible for me to die of old age --The autobiography of Malcolm X. I believe that is not fair for any man to face because of his color of skin and his beliefs. Malcolm knew that he would be killed because of his black skin and his dedication to his beliefs, yet he did not give up. I think that level of determination proves that ones skin color does not make him who he is, he chooses who he wants to be. Skin color is simply what it seems, a color, not a bragging right.
You'll find very few people who feel like I feel that live long enough to get old. I'll tell you what I mean and why I say that. When I say by any means necessary, I mean it with all my heart, and my mind and my soul. But a black man should give his life to be free, but he should also be willing to take the life of those who want to take his. It's reciprocal. And when you think like that you don't live long... I believe that ones skin color goes only skin deep, it doesn't make you any better, I believe that what matters is how understanding and determined one is, and if he has great qualities, he will become a great man, white or black.

No comments: